Let’s be honest: work-life balance is probably not your top priority right now. Everyone’s normal routine has been completely overturned.
There are many companies and individuals that are dealing with different scenarios, from small businesses and freelancers trying to survive compared to online businesses so busy they are struggling to keep up with demand. Let’s not forget those that are trying to work from home with kids, which we all know is a task in itself!
Here are my five Top Tips to help:
1. You’ve got this
Whether its workload, kids or worrying about finances, remain positive as best as you can. A negative persona and attitude isn’t going to help.
2. Working from home with kids
If you’re struggling to work at home while looking after kids here are a few steps to help organise your time and day:
- Get into a routine: at breakfast make the kids’ lunch, like you would for a school day. This will save you time come lunchtime getting everything ready.
- Have set hours so the kids know when you are working and when it’s time for their work sessions, e.g. 9–10: Kids time to learn with parent, 10–11: Parent working hour and the kids can play.
- If you need to work in the evening to catch up, make sure you stick to a time that you down tools. A stressful parent is no benefit to anyone.
- Set time for yourself in the evening when it’s quiet. Do something you enjoy, such as a glass of wine, favourite film or reading a book. However you do it, take time to relax.
3. Increased Workload
Don’t try to cope with the extra demand: employ some freelancers that can help. Freelancers will be fantastic for your business, as they can start immediately, and ensure you keep up with demand. You’ll also be helping others through this difficult time, which could be beneficial for you in the future. While it’s fantastic news that your business is advancing, remember to take time out otherwise your health will suffer.
4. Seek help
Never sit and worry on your own! Speak to someone, whether it’s your family, friends or a professional body. These are stressful times so seek help for anything you are concerned or stressed with. It will surprise you how many people are willing to help!
5. Social media at its best and worst
Now, I must admit I have watched hours and hours of stories on social media regarding Covid19 and quickly realised it wasn’t helping. You waste time and become emotionally drained from the negative stories. So, it’s time to switch your focus to promoting your business or planning future posts. Use your time effectively!
The minute you give yourself permission to accept Tip 1 is the minute that you can breathe a sigh of relief.